Monday, July 8, 2013

Eiffel Towers . . . literally

This cake was very simple to make, but when making objects that are very delicate such as royal icing latices of the Eiffel Tower you need to make several in quantity and to allow a lot of dry time.  

This chocolate salted caramel cake with Bacon was for my friend at work Jocelyn, who loves all things Parisian.  So yes, that is a strip of bacon on the top.  The flowers and pearls were nothing new, but this Eiffel Tower idea, I had never done this before. I had originally wanted to make it 3 dimensional, but I didn't have the right "jigs" set up so that it would dry.  So I decided to just go with a simple one dimension image, that I hoped the frosting would hold up. 


The night before I pipped out a total of 4x - Eiffel Towers, two on parchment paper and two on a plastic film. Plastic film worked out the best as it didn't wrinkle like the parchment paper did due to the moisture.  In the morning I began peeling off the paper . . . .. I broke every single tower beyond repair . . . 

I piped exactly two more on the plastic film and brought it to work.  I let it dry for about 6 hours.  At 3pm it was the point of no return  . . 

Eiffel Tower #5 . . I slowly peeled off the backing . . . success.  However, when it came to putting it into the cake . . . I snapped off the leg . .  DOH!

Last chance . . . Eiffel Tower #6 . . . All or Nothing . . . the structure came off the plastic without a hitch and went right onto the cake . . . Unfortunately, with the Eiffel Tower in place, the cake was much taller and the box lid dropped and snapped off the tip! 




No comments:

Post a Comment