Saturday, June 29, 2013

Joseph 1st Birthday - Cat and the Hat themed

Melissa and Russell's baby just turned one and they decided to throw a birthday party themed around the Cat and the Hat.

We decided that we were going to make a small six inch cake and then serve sheet cake to keep it simple.  However, when I started to look for inspiration I came across a beautiful cake by Andrea's Sweets that I decided to replicate but at a smaller scale. Additionally, I LOVE topsy turvy cakes and I have yet to do one.  This cake is the closest that I've gotten to.  For perspective, the base layer is a 6 inch cake, with the second being 4 inches.  The additional cat hat was made out of rice crispy treats and covered in fondant.


You'll see that in this next picture that the cake started sinking in.  This was partly due to the day being EXTREMELY hotter than normal.  I believe the weather was in the 100s where normally in the bay area it is in the low 80s!  And possible due to the pressure placed on the cake when positioning the cat


To quickly recap the process, my partner in cakes Jayson baked and frosted all the cakes, allowing me to focus on the decorations.  I started off with sculpting the main focal points being the cat, the fish in the bowl and then the giant hat.  Then I shifted and started working on the board and the lettering.  During this time, he helped out making the red and white balls bordering the second tier.  The next morning, I began assembling the cake.  I wasn't sure how I was going to make the snowcaps, but in the end I used rolled fondant and covered the top, and then tucked in the excess to make the snow ploughs.

I love themed cakes.  My favorite part about this cake was the Cat's hat and fishbowl with the water spilling out.  When it cake to making this cake, nothing had to be perfect, which is the beauty of topsy turvy cartoony cakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment